Hormonal issue may not just associate with irregular periods. Even if a woman gets her period on time, PCOS and insulin resistance can still persist.
Few signs that might show PCOS/ insulin resistance symptoms could be:
1- Pigmentation around lips, elbow, underarms, forehead
2- Pigmentation around neckline
3- Dark circles
4- Pimples/ acne on face, around elbows or on back
5- Sudden excessive sweating like hot flushes
6- Lethargy and tiredness
7- Low energy
8- Feeling too sleepy and tired most of the time
9- Sleep apnea
10- Sudden weight gain (fat percentage)
11- Excessive hairfall
12- Mood swings
There are many factors related to hormonal disorder but the root cause is only poor lifestyle.
Most importantly a woman who tries to look for shortcuts to stay healthy, lose weight in an unhealthy way, not eating right, giving excuses to not workout or take initiative to transform their health are suffering the most.
The good news is that PCOS and insulin resistance can be reversed completely with diet and exercise.
Yeah! You heard me right. PCOS/ insulin resistance is just a lifestyle disorder. Just tweaking one’s life here and here can reverse it completely.
‘But I’m thin, and young, still can I’ve hormonal issues?’
”I’ve hormonal issues, so can I lose weight easily?”
A big YES!
‘’Can PCOD and high insulin, both can be reversed?’’
Let’s understand first WHAT ARE THE FACTORS RESPONSIBLE FOR PCOS and insuli n resistance?
1. High carbohydrate intake- It’s not ghee or white butter responsible for obesity, PCOS or high insulin but high carbohydrate intake.
Too much refined flour, biscuits, packed and ready to eat foods, bread, high intake of cereals and pulses are the biggest culprits for it.
2. Not eating well- Skipping meals, following crash or wrong diets to lose weight. Nutrition deficiencies can ruin the metabolism. It destroys the work efficiency of the body to work well.
Hormones are made up of proteins and fats. If one doesn’t eat it enough; hormones would never work efficiently.
3. Eat too much unhealthy fats- Sex hormones- estrogen, progesterone are made up of fats. Replacing healthy and natural fats like ghee, white butter, coconut, unprocessed cheese, full fat yogurt, full fat paneer, egg yolk, fish, olives, nuts with unhealthy fats like transfat, refined vegetable oils or hydrogenated fats is the cause of this health disaster.
PCOD, hypercholesterol, insulin resistance are all related to high carb and poor quality fat intake.
4. Low calorie or low fat foods- Low calorie and low fat foods are extremely rich sources of carbohydrates. It the worst option to think of as it would make the thing worst.
5. No workouts- On the name of workouts, people are just doing walking or yoga. I don’t mean to say, it’s bad, what I mean is that to reverse PCOS, insulin resistance, resistance training is utmost important.
Resistance training improves the sensitivity of the hormones to function better. Insulin starts taking up glucose efficiently. Note one important thing, PCOS, insulin sensitivity is the result of high body fat %. With resistance training/ weight training, one would burn body fat for 48hours unlike only cardio or yoga.
6. Taking too much stress and negativity- Too much stress increases the cortisol hormone leading to poor digestion and obesity.
1. Eat lots of healthy fats: This should be no. 1 priority. Ones diet should be at least 50% healthy fats to reverse PCOS and insulin resistance.
Include healthy fats like fresh homemade fresh cream, thick yogurt, cottage cheese, white homemade butter, unprocessed cheese like mozzarella, parmesan, feta, gauda, ghee, egg yolk, coconut, nuts, avocado, or olives.
Don’t worry you won’t gain weight.
2. Eliminate unhealthy fats completely: Unhealthy fats are either reused hydrogenated fats or processed yellow butter or cheese. All the packed and ready made variety is full of trans fat or hydrogenated fats.
3. Omega 3 : Omega 6 ratio: should only be 1:2. Omega 6 is almost there in vegetables, cereals, pluses we consume on daily basis. Omega 3 is almost negligible in our diet.
Eliminate cooking in vegetable oils like sunflower, safflower oils. Replace them with ghee or white homemade butter for cooking.
Supplement omega-3: 1 tablet post lunch and dinner to see tremendous difference in the hormone sensitivity.
Omega 3: SHOP
Take care, all the bakery items are loaded with trans fat too. Remember, anything that is packed or processed, is loaded with trans fat whereas all the natural available foods are high in good quality fats.
4. Eliminate low fat food products: Every item that claims to be low fat, has only trans fat form of fat or is loaded with carbohydrate to make it tastier.
Never fall prey to low calorie or low fat variety.
5. Concentrate on the body composition: Focus more on fat loss than just weight loss. Weight loss can never give you the correct indication of health and fitness. You might lose muscle or water more than fat, it won’t show on the weight scale. Ideal indication of fat loss is more inch loss than just weight loss.
6. Go gluten and lactose free- Gluten and lactose can inflame the gut. Eliminating them show tremendous changes in the hormonal balance, metabolism and insulin sensitivity.
7. Eliminate refined sugars, maida and maida products, packed foods, ready to cook foods, instant foods, instant noodles, pasta, chocolate, butter, processed cheese, mayonnaise, syrups, flavours, aerated drinks, diet foods, kurmura, low calories food, sugary drinks, energy drinks, sauces or ketchup.
8. Gut health is the most important aspect in the recovery of any disease or stress.
Stick to healthy easy digestible carbs like white rice, sweet potato, white potatoes, banana instead of heavy carbohydrates like wheat, jowar, bajra or any pulses.
Keep the carbohydrate intake to only 25-30% of the total calories.
9. Include high antioxidants: Antioxidants destroys the free radicals which improves the work efficiency of the hormones. It play a vital role in improving the sensitivity of insulin.
Combination of Glutathione 500mg + Vitamin C 1000mg works as a strong antioxidant. Do incorporate this in your meal plan
Glutathione and Vitamin C: SHOP
10. Weight training is a must: 2-4 sessions of weight training in a wekk, depending upon the seriousness of the case is important. 4 workouts in a week of weight training show tremendous changes in fertility and insulin sensitivity.
11. Eat every 2-3 hours without fail. Your metabolism will be on track too soon with this strategy.
12. Never have only soup and salad for dinner. Note, soup and salad are appetizers, they increase the production of digestive juices to have more food absorption, but eating only that will keep you super hungry in the night which makes you sleepless and binge in the night time. Plus you tend to over eat in the morning time.
My intention is to help you understand the science behind how your body works. Hence, if you find it useful, do share it with all your friends and family to spread the word. Don’t forget to share your thoughts on this in the comment section.
PS: Personal Counselling is always the best way to understand your problems, your goals. Join in and be a part of my personal counselling