Carbohydrates are the most discussed and highly contradictory food group for weight loss. Of course eating carbohydrate is not harmful but it does increase the fat when your body doesn’t need energy.
Carbohydrate is nothing but a form of energy that is ”Glucose”. Carbohydrate is not at fault though but the metabolism of your body. How? Let’s understand it:
How does carbohydrate get used or stored by our body?
- Used as instant energy in brain
- For muscle glycogen store
- Excess is getting stored as fat
Carbohydrate gets broken down to glucose and instantly increases the insulin levels to keep the blood glucose levels optimal. Excess glucose in the blood is dangerous and so insulin helps to store the excess into fat cells. Therefore, insulin is a fat storing hormone.
This doesn’t mean that insulin is making you fat, but the carbohydrate that is eaten at the wrong time.
Certainly our purpose is not to make you low energetic but to keep the glucose as stable as possible.
The most interesting fact is that when carbohydrate is replaced with fats, it increases the lipolysis, that means starts burning fat from the fat stores.
How does fat help you burn fat?
Fats takes very long time to digest. It’s high thermogenic that is, it increases the requirement of energy from the body to digest fat from food.
The other best advantage is that the glucose level doesn’t elevate, and therefore the insulin release doesn’t happen. And therefore, there is no fat stored in the body.
Another advantage is that as per research, when carbs are eaten alone even in smaller quantity, they give you less weight loss (fat loss) than the carbohydrates eaten with fats, rather lost more weight than the other group.
How does low carbohydrate helps you lose fat?
When the carbohydrates are less in the diet, the insulin production suppresses to a great extend. In this case, body releases glucagon, a hormone which is released when the blood glucose levels are low which releases thew glycogen stores of liver. When this situation occurs recurrently, the glycogen stores of the liver gets depleted and this leads to beta oxidation- increases the release of free fatty acids from the fat cell. Due to this beta- oxidation, it releases ketones as the source of energy. In simple terms, it helps you burn fat.
Note: It’s low carbohydrate and not ‘’no’’ carbohydrate.
Scheduling the carbohydrate in the right way is extremely important. Eat them only when your body needs energy.
- Pre workout- to provide energy during workout
- Post workout- to improve the muscle glycogen stores
- When you are physically very active
How does replacing carbohydrates with fats help you lose fat?
- Fats are high in energy and doesn’t release glucose. Therefore, the advantages are:
- It doesn’t increase insulin release, therefore, doesn’t get stored in fat cells.
- It gives you energy in place of carbohydrates.
- It is calorically high therefore, you are not deficient.
- It is high thermogenic- takes longer to digest, therefore, you will burn more calories to digest it.
- It helps to release fats from the fat cells for energy.
Magical Action plan:
· Eat only 2-3 serving of carbohydrate in a day. Chose from these foods- 1 roti/ 1 bowl rice/ 1 jowar or bajra rotla/ 1 slice of bread/ 1 bowl oats/ 5tbsp of museli/ 1 bowl upma/ 1 bowl poha/ 1 paratha.
· Completely avoid unneccesary carbohydrates like biscuits, chiwda, wafers, kurmura, khakra, packed and preserved foods, maida and maida products.
· Double the intake of fats from carbohydrates. Include fats in all your meals. Like ghee, nuts, avocado, fish, full cream milk, full fat curd, cream, almond butter or milk, coconut milk or flesh, chicken, whole eggs, cottage cheese (paneer), cheese.
· Do not worry about dibetes or hypercholestrol. It is absolutely safe to have healthy saturated fats to reduce bad cholesterol and control diabetes.
· Just remember to avoid unhealthy fats coming from packed foods like biscuits, butter, processed and packed foods.
· Along with fats include lots of healthy proteins. Fortunately most of the healthy fat foods are also high in protiens, therefore, it improves your metabolism better.
· Along with this, workout is vital with good intensity. You must improve every time you workout.
· Consistently follow these instructions till you lose massively in inches and see the difference in your health.
PS: I totally love working with Ujwal because he transformed so massively. Here are his transformation pics.
We are coming up with a fitness course which will give you a transformation like this 😆 Stay tuned
Are you hooked up on FACEBOOK? Then, share this post with your friends, family and colleagues and hit like to MAGICAL HEALTH page.
COMMENTS please!!! I would like to hear from you about this article.