From 30 million to more than 500 millions diabetic around the world, (WHO & IDF) how did we reach this number? 😮
Of course what you are thinking is the sedentary lifestyle and high sugar and refined foods.
Fries and pav bhaji???
What is responsible????…
While doing this research I found a very interesting thing, it’s a journey from Fit to Fat.
Hunters and Gatherers
High fat intake
Low complex carb
High intensity work
Lean and fit
Low and poor quality fat
High complex and simple carb
No or low workout/ physical activity
High body fat and metabolic disorder
Humans were hunters and gatherers originally and they had was real, natural healthy fats, high quality proteins and low complex carbs. It’s high time that we understand that diabetes control is not just:
- Just eliminating sugar will control diabetes… NO
- Multigrain roti is best for diabetic patient.. NO
- Bitter guard or methi seeds are best for diabetic control..NO
- Never eat fat if you are a diabetic..NO
- Just lose weight to control diabetes..NO
- Just walking is enough..NO
You all got it wrong:
As per new wisdom, we were asked to just eliminate sugar, refined flour and have low fat diet to control diabetes which looked like a diet like this?
We need to understand that we need to now just lowering the intake of sugar and refined flour and completely eliminating sugar is not the solution of diabetes control. High Intake of Complex carbs like lots of whole cereals, whole pulses, whole veggies, low fat will also increase blood sugar levels. High carb, whether complex or simple has a direct relationship with insulin resistance.
New Science: Go traditional
- Eat high fat, High protein and low complex carbs
- Blood glucose level has direct relationship with carbs and almost negligible effect with fat and proteins.
- Studies have shown that the low complex carb intake has a direct effect in lowering the blood glucose levels and lower the risk to CVD/ Heart disease
The super hero foods for diabetes control are:
- Fish oil
- Fresh water fishes
- Nuts, peanuts
- Whole milk and milk products
- Cream (Fresh)
Note: No deep frying
I know what you are wondering.. It will make you fat?
Nope, you got it all wrong!!!
Eating healthy fats will help you burn more body fat and will directly lower your blodd glucose levels. 😆
Read my top blogs to know more on healthy fats:
Still don’t believe me, the I have proofs for you:
Conclusion: The diet lower in carbohydrate led to greater improvements in glycemic control, and more frequent medication reduction/elimination than the low glycemic index diet.
Conclusion: Compared with a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean-style diet led to more favorable changes in glycemic control and coronary risk factors and delayed the need for antihyperglycemic drug therapy in overweight patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.
Foods that are responsible for High body fat and Diabetes:
- Low fat, low calorie, hidden sugar foods, Fruit juices,
- Refined oils, skim milk
- Trans fats, hydrogenated or deep-fried foods; saturated fats from junk food or processed meat
- Packaged and fast foods: High in sugar and sodium, baked goods, sweets, chips, desserts, biscuits
- White bread, sugary cereals, refined pastas or rice
- Processed meat and red meat
- Low-fat products that have replaced fat with added sugar, such as fat-free yogurt
As per US- FDA, There is no upper limit to fat intake and cholesterol is no longer a nutrient of concern for overconsumption and ghee (Clarified butter) delays the gastric emptying by up- regulating the response of a gut hormone- GLP-1. Therefore, you can eat ghee as much as you want 😀
You can see the video for more details:
But dairy products are fattening and high risk to CVD/ Heart disease???
- Dairy fat isn’t harmful to heart health rather it’s beneficial, lowers BP, reduces the risk of CVD and type 2 Diabetes – Greg Miller (President of Dairy Research Institute and executive Vice President of the National Dairy Council)
- Dairy fat isn’t consumed in isolation but with proteins, calcium and other components therefore, the physiology is distinct and has no relation to CVD– American Heart Association
So eat more and more of Healthy fats, eliminate unhealthy fats to lose fat and control/ reverse diabetes.
Coming up next on Carbs and Proteins in diabetes management. Stay tuned.
Are you hooked up on FACEBOOK? Then, share this post with your friends, family and colleagues and hit like to MAGICAL HEALTH page.
COMMENTS please!!! I would like to hear from you about this article.